Wednesday, March 12, 2014

For the Tiger



1.

No experts here. No wise
restraint, hard won
skill, no license helps you
now.

What explodes
up from underworld
when lifeforce has devoured itself
erupts, churns, shreds
all surface
too fast to name.
Aimed,
teeth ready.

Are you?
~~~~~~~

2.

Row, row, row your boat
gently down the stream.

Merrily, merrily, me --







TIGER!!!!
~~~~~~~

3.

Once I lived jungle-free
rippling in sun.
I stalked what I pleased.
Nothing dared me.

Snared, then drugged,
I woke to bars, tossed old meat,
fresh prey out of reach,
always taunting me.

I grow fat.
I may snooze
but come too close
my claws will drink,
my jaws will claim
their due,
their long due.

I dream of the river
I used to fish
its rich deeps
cold but full
of food.

I dive and leap forth,
I bite the water! slice
and it stays
my world, my place
to be, to drink,
to lie down beside
and sleep
when eating is done.

~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment